Most organizations are dependent on Excel spreadsheets and time-consuming manual processes for performing critical planning and cost controls functions. Analysts spend a majority of their time manipulating data from disparate systems and investigating formula errors at the expense of strategic analysis and scenario forecasting.
EcoSys EPC (Enterprise Planning & Controls) delivers best practices for full lifecycle project cost management including capital planning, budgeting and forecasting, and comprehensive management of funds, costs, resources and earned value.
For users, a key advantage of EcoSys EPC is the easy-to-use web interface that tailors to an organization’s business processes, while automating the integration of planning and execution data.
For management, a key benefit is the configurability of the system to support complex business processes and reporting requirements without requiring the involvement of IT staff. EcoSys EPC provides the ability to tailor terminology, web spreadsheets, reports, and dashboards to specific requirements without custom programming.
Budgeting & Forecasting
Most gaps in organizational budgeting exist in bridging traditional department budgets with project and operations execution. Critical questions revolve around where budgets are being spent and what type of justification is made for budget and funds requested.
EcoSys EPC (Enterprise Planning & Controls) provides the workflow and structure for distributing funds through the organization and into programs, projects, and operations. The budgeting process is highly configurable to match the unique iterations, revisions, and required information that is part of your organization's budgeting process.
Accounting for detailed approval and request cycles, EcoSys EPC can support the most stringent budgeting process needs:
- Manage the budget planning processes. Model your organizational budget cycle and manage your annual and out year budget planning processes. Budget by financial category and type of funding. Create multiple versions and revisions of budgets for the same financial year and plan multi-year budgets.
- Build top-down and bottom-up. Assign budgets top down to each department or have department managers submit budgets for approval. Easily build top down budgets by aggregating bottom up forecasts and requests.
- Allocate funding. Funding managers can fund programs, projects, assets, and ongoing operations from approved organizational budgets. Allocate funds from one or multiple sources.
- Utilize workflows for budget requests and approvals. Funding managers can view project budget requests submitted by project managers and decide how much of their budget to allocate to those projects. Once these funds have been allocated, project managers can easily see how much budget they've received from each funding source.
- Align budgets with corporate strategy. Distribute budgets by strategic priorities across multiple dimensions. Perform what-if analysis to compare various budgeting and allocation scenarios. Analyze bottom-up performance against multiple strategies.
- Integrate notes and justification to budget submissions. Add memos, notes, Excel like comments and any other supplementary information.
- Simplify and centralize with spreadsheets on the web. EPC utilizes a user-friendly spreadsheet interface over the web. All budget information is managed in a secure central database; access to financial is tightly controlled at a granular level.
- Measure performance. Flexibly report on budgets using tabular and graphic reports. Compare top-down budgets to bottom-up forecasts and actuals. Monitor variances and trends.
News - DoD's Media Agency Selects EcoSys for Budget Formulation and Execution Software
Case Study - Rapid Budget Formulation at the Presidio Trust
EcoSys EPC (Enterprise Planning & Controls) provides a unique capital budgeting and management solution through its innovative alignment of projects with funding sources. With the enterprise views provided, capital initiatives can be tracked across financial periods and aligned with organizational objectives.
EcoSys EPC provides the tools for managing large capital initiatives in one standardized system.
- Manage capital budgets. Maintain annual and multi-year capital budgets. Align budget plans with strategic initiatives and targets. Fund capital initiatives from one or more funding source and differentiate between internal and external sources of funds.
- Analyze investment scenarios. Perform what-if analysis and scenario modeling. Compare strategic and regulatory commitments with company targets.
- Forecast spending. Manage forecasts for capital programs, projects, and operations. Maintain versions of forecasts and view trends.
- Consolidate financials from multiple sources. Integrate actual expenditures transactions from one or more source, including GLs, ERPs, Timesheets, and Enterprise Project Management systems.
- Monitor and report on performance. Compare actual performance against budgets and forecasts. Flexibly report on performance against targets and commitments.
News - EcoSys to Provide Capital Program Management Software to University of Adelaide
News - EcoSys Chosen by San Bernardino County for Capital Program Management
Project Cost Management
EcoSys EPC (Enterprise Planning & Controls) is a web-based Project Cost Management software system which provides the flexibility of Excel-like spreadsheets, with the power and control of an enterprise database application.
EcoSys EPC supports the standardization of processes and reporting in a secure, multi-user environment, while maintaining a full audit trail.
EPC integrates seamlessly with project scheduling systems such as Primavera P6 and Microsoft Project, corporate general ledger, timesheet and ERP systems such as Oracle, SAP, PeopleSoft, and JD Edwards, and various home-grown and file-based sources of data.
- Manage by Program, Project, Phase, Work Package, Task, and Resource.
Maintain budget and forecast costs, quantities, and hours by multiple classification codes, time phasing, and currency. Maintain cash flow curves for costs, hours, commitments, payments, and revenue.
- Compare versions of project costs and view trends.
Maintain unlimited versions of costs forecasts, including standardized snapshots at regular period intervals.
- Promote standardization with user-friendly web spreadsheets.
Maintain summary and detailed plans in web spreadsheets. Add memos, notes, purchasing details, and any other supplementary information. Ease-of-use encourages rapid user adoption.
- Manage Changes.
Maintain changes at each stage of the approval process and designate the business rules for applying changes to one or more budget types (original budget, current budget, current forecast, etc).
- Monitor and report on performance.
Monitor performance of projects against various established targets. Perform Earned Value analysis. Analyze trends and highlight problem areas.
- Consolidate estimates, forecasts, and actuals from multiple sources.
Integrate cost with schedule for accurate bottom-up forecasts reflecting the latest schedule information. Integrate with GL, ERP, Procurement, and Timesheet systems to incorporate actual expenditures.
- Report on Earned Value Performance.
Perform integrated cost and schedule performance management, reporting and analysis. Earned Value Management (EVM) processes can be established to fulfill internal performance management standards and to meet ANSI 748 industry guidelines.
Brochure - Project Cost Management with EcoSys
White Paper - Complying with the 32 ANSI 748 Criteria using EcoSys
The public sector faces a daunting challenge in managing funding for projects and programs. Revenues come from a multitude of sources – grants from all levels of government, tax revenues, bond issues and more. Levels of complexity are added when the agencies must track the conditions associated with the funds: from strict timing requirements to limitations on the types of projects the funds can be applied toward.
EcoSys EPC (Enterprise Planning & Controls) has been designed to address these unique challenges. EPC provides the workflow and structures for distributing funds through the organization and into programs, projects, and operations. At the same time, the configurability of the software allows the rules that govern funds to be easily modeled.
EcoSys EPC is ideal for all aspect of Funds Management:
- Funding Source Forecasts: EPC is a full funds management platform, allowing identification, forecasting, and categorization of all sources of federal, state and local funds. Agencies can forecast and track each funding source’s available funds over time, and model what-if scenarios, such as bond issues and other revenue-generating measures.
- Management of Fund Balances: EPC allows forecasting and tracking of available funds per fiscal year, and the amount allocated to individual projects.
- Funding Rules: Support complex rules for allocations of funds from multiple funding sources. Each project can be effectively modeled and tracked, without custom programming.
- Fiscal Year Funding: EPC provides full workflow for fiscal year budgeting by Funding Source.
- Integration with Financial Systems: Seamless integration with ERPs and General Ledger systems allows for easy reconciliation of actual expenditures to budgets, commitments, allocations and project performance.
- Change Management: Funds can be easily reallocated as needed using a clear, structured process and protected by an enterprise-level audit trail.
Industry Solutions - Federal Government
Industry Solutions - State & Local Government
Industry Solutions - Public Sector Transportation
Brochure - Capital Budgeting and Program Management for Public Transportation Agencies
Earned Value Management
As an Earned Value Management (EVM) Engine, EcoSys EPC (Enterprise Planning & Controls) provides end-to-end EVM capabilities, with web-based spreadsheets for budgeting, progressing, budget transfers and change management, and built-in EVM formulas and variances.
EcoSys EPC allows project management data--including activities, WBS elements, resource and expense assignments, percent complete and estimate to complete--to be incorporated in an automated, controlled manner into Earned Value Management System (EVMS) reporting processes.
EPC was designed to fit organizations' EVM needs, regardless of scope -- from simple tracking of key performance indicators (KPIs) to providing the full ANSI 748 compliance and reporting often required of federal agencies and government contractors.
These project cost management and Earned Value Management capabilities allow comparison and analysis of budget, forecasts, earned value and actuals.
The EPC internal data model has been designed to be automatable and accessible programmatically using industry standard methods such as in a SOA (Services Oriented Architecture).
As a Microsoft Certified Partner, Certified Oracle Primavera Technology Partner and member of Oracle’s PartnerNetwork, EcoSys provides industry-leading Commercial Off The Shelf (COTS) integration with the leading project scheduling systems: Microsoft Office Project (MS Project), Microsoft Project Server (MS Project Server), and Oracle Primavera P6 (P6). EcoSys provides COTS integration with leading ERP Systems such as Oracle Financials and SAP, and for contractors with existing investments in Deltek MPM, EcoSys automates integration between MPM and MS Project, MS Project Server, and P6.
Consolidation & Reconciliation
Consolidation of disparate sources of data is a reality that finance and accounting grapple with constantly. Manual consolidations and reconciliations can be time consuming and error prone, but executives rightly demand that management accounting systems be reconciled with the GL to prove their validity.
EcoSys EPC (Enterprise Planning & Controls) contains powerful reconciliation and consolidation features that allow you to pull in multiple "streams" of data, compare results, and drill down to the individual transactions represented by the numbers that you see. Far from being disconnected summaries of information, EcoSys EPC reports and views provide a deep and detailed look and comparison at the spending taking place - validating that the raw data and the performance measurement based on it are accurate.
EcoSys EPC removes the manual, labor-intensive steps, as well as the errors in typical consolidation and reconciliation processes. Your analysts can spend their time on high value tasks such as performance measurement and variance analysis instead of manual number crunching.
Consolidation and Reconciliation Features:
- Consolidate multiple data sources. Flexibly integrate with ERPs, General Ledger, Project Management, Procurement, and Timesheet systems to consolidate actuals from one or multiple data sources. Manage all consolidated data within EPC's centralized data store.
- Perform reconciliations. Manage multiple actual data streams for variance analysis, reconciliation, and reporting. Save your analysts many hours a month in manually reconciling actuals at different levels of detail or from different systems.
- Perform financial chargebacks. Automate chargebacks from projects and operations to one or more business units/profit centers. Costs can be split up by percentage, or specific charges can be directed to specific funders.
- Perform period closeouts. Configure your period closeout process in EPC. Define month or quarter end rules for your organization. Project managers and financial controllers can validate new charges coming in before approving the numbers or requesting adjustments.
- Securely perform financial adjustments and manage accruals. You can require changes to history to only be performed with formal past period adjustments, requiring stringent security and documentation. A full audit trail is captured for all financial changes.
- Report on consolidated data. Flexibly report on all financial data at any level of detail. Ad hoc reports are easy for end users to create and don't require IT or administrative support.
- Support governance and audit requirements. Facilitate support for Sarbanes-Oxley and SOP 98-1 compliance with EPC. A full audit trail is captured for all financial changes, along with support for integrated notes, memos, and additionally required/optional information.
Successful financial performance measurement requires capturing the right information, the ability to validate the information's accuracy, and being able to access it and analyze it in ways that are relevant to your business.
EcoSys EPC's (Enterprise Planning & Controls) industrial strength analytical and reporting capabilities are built to support the comprehensive financial management needs of our customers. As a project financials reporting platform, it addresses the specifics of measuring performance against project budgets, forecasts, funds utilization and availability, corporate strategy, and much more. From an organizational perspective, aggregated performance is measured against top down budgets and objectives along multiple dimensions.
Monthly closeouts, audits, and transactional drill-down validates the transparency and accuracy of the data used for metrics.
- Perform top-down and bottom-up analysis. Flexibly compare actual performance against top-down budgets and bottom-up forecasts and actuals. View data flexibly as rollups and drill-down to view detailed transactions.
- Consolidate financials from multiple sources. Integrate actuals and forecasts from one or more data sources for performance measurement. Sources of acutals can include ERP, General Ledger, Project Management, and Timesheet systems.
- Perform performance reporting from a centralized data store. Define standard performance reports and KPI metrics. Easily create ad-hoc reports using a user-friendly report interface. No technical or administrative assistance is required. Give restricted access for users to create their own reports.
- Perform slice-and-dice analysis. EPC is architected to support highly complex multi-dimensional data analysis. Reports are easy to define and run quickly.
- Utilize graphical reports. Easily create and monitor graphical reports, including cost curves, bar charts and trend graphs.
- Utilize industry standard file formats. Export reports to Excel, Word, PDF, XML, and many other common formats.
- Perform Earned Value Management (EVM)
Provide integrated cost and schedule performance management, reporting and analysis. Earned Value Management (EVM) processes can be established to fulfill internal performance management purposes and to meet ANSI 748 industry standards and guidelines.
White Paper - Complying with the 32 ANSI 748 Criteria using EcoSys
Flexibly manage labor budgets, forecasts, and actuals with EcoSys EPC (Enterprise Planning & Controls).
- Manage top-down and bottom-up resource costs and effort
Budget and forecast resource costs, hours, and resource related expenses. Distribute fiscal budgets by resource category or type.
- Manage supply and demand
Strategically align resource "supply" with organizational goals, priorities, and bottom-up demand.
- Maintain resource rates
Flexibly define resource rate types and associate multiple rates with each resource. Protect visibility of resource rates by using generic or blended rates in the Project Management system and actual rates for the same resources in EPC.
- Consolidate information from multiple systems
Integrate with Enterprise Project Management / Project Portfolio Management and Timesheet systems to consolidate true bottom-up forecasts, reflecting the latest resource allocation information, as well as resource actuals.
- Analyze resource performance
Monitor resource performance by teams, departments, projects, crews, and as individuals. Compare labor budget with forecast and actuals, and view trends.
Ensure a consistent enterprise process for compliance with capitalization rules and standards, such as AICPA's SOP 98-1, "Accounting for the Costs of Computer Software Developed or Obtained for Internal Use."
EcoSys EPC (Enterprise Planning & Controls) is ideally suited to:
- Clearly segregate capital and expense charges
Flexibly define capitalization rules by financial category, type of project, type of resource, and phase. Track capital and expense budgets separately.
- Flexibly depreciate expenses
Utilize one or more depreciation rules. View amortized versus cash out the door cash flows.
- Perform IT software capitalization
Flexibly administer information technology software capitalization based on specific rules and standards established by the organization. Integrate documentation and supplementary data with financial information and actual transactions
- Utilize integrated financial data
Facilitate robust capitalization in EPC by consolidating forecasts and actuals by cost category, project type, resource type, and phase from ERP, GL, Enterprise Project Management, and Timesheet systems.
- Ensure audit-ability
EPC provides full lockdown of history. Changes can only impact future periods, unless a formal adjustment is made.
Whitepaper - Capitalizing on SOP 98-1
Webcast - Surviving the SOP 98-1 Audit
Industry Solutions - Information Technology & Financial Services
Technology & Architecture
EcoSys EPC (Enterprise Planning & Controls) is entirely web-based. This architecture eliminates the need for client-side installations, and upgrades are centralized and easy to deploy.
EcoSys EPC has been architected with performance and enterprise scalability as key elements of its design:
- EPC runs on Oracle and SQL Server database platforms
- The EcoSys middle-tier runs on industry-leading application server technologies: IBM Websphere, BEA Weblogic, Apache Tomcat, and JBoss
- No Java applets or plug-ins are downloaded to the end-user, eliminating the poor responsiveness found in many web applications
- Strategic server-side caching speeds up access to common data
Integrations with EcoSys EPC exist for many common ERP, PPM, and financial systems. Custom integrations can be built on the EcoSys web services platform or via file-based data exchange.
To know more on EcoSys product, please click here.
PCO Subject Expert review (In Process)
PCO Members Review
PCO members wishing to share and display their views, please click here